Important Update: The SOC 949 Web Discussion Board was upgraded on July 4, 2008. If you have not yet used the updated web discussion board, please follow the steps below to determine your username, change your password and practice using the web discussion board. You may find it useful to print a copy of this page and check off each step as you complete it.
Step 1: Determine your Username
The upgraded web board software requires a Username and Password to post messages.
A Username has been created for you using this format:
My Username is: ____________________________
Step 2: Change your Password
The initial access Password is: (all lowercase, no spaces)
You will need to immediately change your password to something a bit more secure.
Here's how to change your Password:
1) Click on Quick Link to SOC 949 Web Discussion Board in the box at the top of this screen to open the updated web discussion board.
2) Click on the words Edit Profile located in the upper right corner of the screen.
3) Enter your Username (see above)
4) Enter the initial access Password
5) Click the Log In button.
The Profile Editor Screen will appear.
6) In the Information About You section, enter your first and last name in the Full Name section.
7) Enter your E-mail Address in the E-mail Address section. Note: Your E-Mail address is optional. If you feel uncomfortable with having your E-mail address appear on web board postings, just leave this box empty.
8) Ignore the first Save Profile Changes button. You will use the second button after changing your password to save all the changes at once.
8) Next, enter your new password in the New Password section.
9) Verify your new password by entering it again in the Verify New Password section.
10) Click the second Save Profile Changes button. A black bar with the words Note: Profile changes successfully saved will appear near the top of the screen.
11) Click the words Log Out in the upper right corner of the screen to complete the process.
12) A Logout Confirmed screen will appear. Click the SOC 949 Web Discussion Board link or the word Topics in the blue bar to view the web board topics screen.
My Password is: ______________________________
Step 3: Practice Posting a Message
1) Scan the list of web board topics.
2) Click on the Posting Practice link down at the bottom of the Topic list.
3) Scroll down past the archived messages until you see the Add Your Message Here section near the bottom of the screen.
3) Enter a short message in the box of the Post section:
4) Enter your Username in the Username section.
5) Enter your new Password in the Password section
6) Click on the Preview/Post Message button to preview your message.
7) The text that you entered will appear near the top of the screen in a box titled Preview: New Message. If you are satisfied with the message, click on the Post this Message button in the blue bar below the message preview.
8) If you wish to change any text, do that in the Revise your Message section. Click the Preview/Post Message again and then click the Post this Message.
Important Note: Posting a message is always a two step process. First you Preview the message and then you Post the message. Your new message will not appear on the web board if you skip the second Post this Message step. You may also need to refresh or reload the browser window to see recently posted messages.
Hints and Suggestions:
You will want to record your Username and Password in a safe place (logbook, course notes, etc) since you will need to use it every time that you post a messages on the new web discussion board.
You can navigate back to the Topics screen from any location within the web board by clicking on the word Topics in the blue bar on the lower part of the screen or on the Topics link in the upper right corner of the screen.
The Help/Instructions link in the blue navigation bar at the bottom of the screen will open several tutorials that will explain how to use all of the features available on the web discussion board.
Note: If you lose or forget your password, please contact Bob Jost, instructional support person for the course. He will not be able to retrieve your password but will be able to issue a temporary password that you will be able to use to gain access to the Edit Profile screen again.